Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Began the restoration of the Magic Chef Stove

Last week end I pull the stove out to begin the restoration, and was surprise to discover that it had a lot of rust damage which I had to first repair, which I was able to do today, I was able to restore everything to work correctly but was not able to get the oven to light, I was finally able to get the pilot light to stay lit but I still have not been able to get gas to the burner, even after blowing out the supply tubing.
















So I guess I will start that troubleshooting that problem next week end.

Well after working on the thermo-coupler I finally got the over to light today Monday 9 5 2011
I was really surprised that the stove grates also were covered with black porcelain, and the stove grate were covered with heavy built on grease it was not noticed, but once I started stripping them down I began to see the luster, and I wanted to do everything I could to retain what luster was left, so I carefully stripped away all of the build debris, they soaked the in a detergent and polished the out and got a lot of the luster to again shine, I went ahead and painted the bottom with a high heat black paint to round the grates restoration out and now the are ready to put back into service, it is funny how it was harder and more time consuming to get these grates were I wanted them to be, than it took me restore the entire stove oven unit.
Today Sept. 11 2011, I reinstalled the completed restoration of the Magic Chef Model # 185 Stove unit and got it reinstalled back into the Lo-Liner

1 comment:

  1. hi I have a 1960 lo liner not sure what the color of the stove is it looks like yours do you know

    ReplyDelete